FuhQuake Forum Index FuhQuake
https://fuhquake.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mindgrid:audio - QUAKE | pre-release sound effects
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerbear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: mindgrid:audio - QUAKE | pre-release sound effects Reply with quote

it is uploading as we speak -- expect to see a download link once it has completed.

http://www.mindabuse.com/mindgrid/audio/

this is what i've been working on in my free time for the past few weeks. the above link will take you to a page that allows you to download the pre-release of mindgrid:audio for QUAKE.

i've been working on trying to package it up appropriately since i've gotten home from a normal's day of work in between some last-second (or minute, or hour...) tweaks. in between testing it with the latest fuhquake v0.30 build and making adjustments, i await some feedback.

i'm pretty tired so i'm going to head to sleep. you can post feedback on this forum as well -- possibly spurring further discussions about my audio project.

i would definetely suggest reading the text file for tips on setting it up. i toyed around with a couple other engines (tenebrae @ 22khz and darkplaces at 11khz, yeep!) with more unpleasant results when compared to fuhquake. this could be lack of RTFM on my behalf though...

enjoy...
vegetous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

Thank's jerbear !

I'll try it.

Total Destruction II - Quake and Quake World Modification
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dkure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many quake things, so little time.

TFDE2
Fuhquake 0.30
New remixed sounds at 44 KHz

All good Very Happy
dobbz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh jerbear, pretty nice. its somethin i would have loved to do if i had access to those libraries.

theres one problem tho. the jump sound is too short and too quiet-- during a rocket jump, you cant hear the jump sound over the rocket launch/explosion at all, meaning you cant hear rocket jumps. sounds like its the original sound just time-compressed or somethin like that so ill fix mine myself.

some feedback if you want it: id prefer the rocket launch sound to have a little less mid and high range.. more of just a boom like the original, which sounds harder hitting. no big deal tho, damn nice job all around.
ParadokS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya, nice work!!

Sound is probably one of the things we are most sensitive about, hence the respect u get for taking on this assignment. I'm sure u did expect alot of feedback and critizism though, so i won't have a bad conscience now Smile

Ill start out with some comments on the DM sounds.

I liked the boomstick and super shotgun.. i liked the weapon pickups and ammo pickups.

The jump sound could be a little longer.. sounds like it's being cut off.. maybe make it exact same lenght as old sound file.. but just with ur alternations.

The Grenade Launcher is just way off imo. Problem here is the bouncing sound. It sounds constantly like its bouncing on thin steel grid.. like in a factory.. or something.. don't fit with QW's stone like enviroment.

The Rocket Launcher isn't good either. it has a 'rusty' kling to it.. and it's too loud!! way too loud imo. Getting a headache from listening to it all the time, and if i turn volume down the other sounds r too low.

This was feedback on Deathmatch part - on to singleplayer part, which is by far the biggest part of this package.

OH MY FUCKING GOD ! when more sounds are made and I reinstall my 24 textures im gonna replay QW on nightmare cause omg!!!...

The sounds ROCK. Few things I especially fancy.. the Fiend is amazing, i actually got shit scared on e1m3 when those 2 in the start jump at me roaring at me. The way stone walls and lifts make the sound of stone grinding up against stone.. gives it a great enviromental mood... like indiana jones prawling the caves =D Unfortunately, you hav created this computerized door sound aswel. like on e1m1, the first secret u find. and shaft pit on dm6. Unfortunately this sound also applies to some of the 'stone' openings... e1m2 secret in start area and.. .well dm6 shaft pit. A dillemma they use the same sound file :\ cause its not the same material they use.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, just testing weapons in prewar and played 3 first levels in singleplayer. So far im very impressed with singleplayer level but I would say the DM part is 30%~ done if you want it up on a level where its a big improvement over default, but still fits the enviroment and is good for continous use in DM.

In the end it requires testing from the users and feedback, and ultimatively your sweat and tears to create!

This project is great, and i have high expectation for the future =)

Hope I wasn't too dramatic ;P
Jago

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the previous posts. The jump sound is waay to short and the grenade and rocket launchers sound waay too metallic and loud. I like the new shaft sound, tho I felt it was somehow way too loud. The new fiend sounds were cool too.
dobbz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParadokS wrote:
The Grenade Launcher is just way off imo. Problem here is the bouncing sound. It sounds constantly like its bouncing on thin steel grid.. like in a factory.. or something.. don't fit with QW's stone like enviroment.

yeh the grenade change is pretty drastic.. i cant imagine your description of what those new sounds seem like, but the original is a "pInG, dONg dONG dOnG" .. i never understood how that fit the weapon. and if you wanna hear someting realistic, a near solid piece of ammo like the grenade represents would prolly sound like a cue ball being dropped on concrete.. just a short *TACK*. i might try and fix up a sound like that if i ever get soundforge workin on this damn comp again.

and yeh the rocket sounds are a bit loud but it shouldnt be hard for anyone to lower the volume in very slight increments using a sound editor, and put it back in the pak to test.

i havent played any single player yet, but online i gotta say i love the style this pack gives. almost every sound is less 'faithful' than i expected but its not a bad thing, it suits the game well for the most part. weapon firing and item pickups seem SO much more tight and quick. very sharp, im liking it.

the first shaft sound is pretty much perfect, but the end of it fades out too quickly. the second shaft sound should have the first part removed (which as far as i can tell is the same as part of the first sound anyway) so it can be looped more smoothly. i wish i could do this myself.. (AHEM im on #fuhquake on quakenet. if anyone might know why my soundforge install is suddenly behaving like a demo version which wont lemme save anything, and would be able to ahem help me i would be very thankful.)

btw, i removed the new jump sound and the old one doesnt seem to stick out at all. sounds fine with fuhquake's resampling.

after a couple tweaks and an official release id like to see this stuff permitted in standard leagues (ie not show up in f_modified).
jerbear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is all great feedback -- good or bad...

so it sounds like the biggest change comments are towards the player jump, rocket launcher and grenade launcher...

personally i'm a fan of quieter jump noises -- mostly because of single player... i can work with it though. louder and longer.

in terms of the grenade launcher -- its just the pineapple bounce sound that is an issue, right? is the firing sound for the weapon okay? this is probably one of the smallest sounds with the biggest challenge. the original always bugged me as being way too loud for what it was -- and way too long... i'll see what i can do.

and the rocket launcher -- i can bring it down a notch (or two or three). heh. in terms of its character, i've really grown to like the sound of the rocket firing and flying away -- the hissing of it leaving the barrel. ill see if i can tone down the brightness of it... combined with the player sound, i'm sure there is a way to make it work so you can hear both the rocket fire nice loud and clean, with the jump sound still audible.

in terms of environmental sounds -- a lot of the 'base-styled' doors were thrown in there to replace the originals to get a feel for things. i don't know which ones will stay long-term, especially if i can get access to any of the originals... i'm quite aware of the issue with the base secret-door sound being used a LOT in the medieval maps -- but that is a leveldesign issue more than a sound effect issue. i may go with 'majority rules' and try to make it more of a mix of the two -- or strictly medieval, but the medieval seemed like it was never used in the first episode (possibly because the effect was only in the registered version? i'm not sure about the details)...

and to be honest, i haven't fired up deathmatch/multiplayer once to judge or tweak the sounds at this point. most of my deathmatching is pretty light and simple. i don't really play any mods (ctf, tf, etc).

all of my testing and tweaking has been based off singleplayer. i'm thinking i'd much rather go in to tweak mode when i can start to get all of the single player stuff taken care of first, then work with the multiplayer-only specifics. this can change though.

thanks a million for the words and please keep the feedback coming!
Luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that most of us are too biased because we are _used_ to playing with the original sounds. Anything different is upsetting to us. I suggest that you play DM and singleplayer for a few hours with these new sounds before you comment.

Let yourself warm up to the sounds, then make constructive criticism.
dobbz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh one more thing jer.. the NG sounds a too similar to the SNG. maybe taking some of the lower end freqs from the NG would fit it better. so it doesnt sound quite so badass ya know.

also one very small detail: once everything important is done, smooth/extend the very ends of the reverbed sounds cause theyre almost all cut kinda abruptly. but its impossible to notice during any action, so whatever.
jerbear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
I think that most of us are too biased because we are _used_ to playing with the original sounds. Anything different is upsetting to us. I suggest that you play DM and singleplayer for a few hours with these new sounds before you comment.

Let yourself warm up to the sounds, then make constructive criticism.

this is an excellent point.

really try to play with the sounds as much as you can... in time we will know the real weaknesses compared to the original. i know for sure the quieter jumping sound can be an issue (rocket jumping, etc)...

although i havent been playing qw dm constantly for the past 5 years, having worked with the new sounds over time and hearing them in game for a while, they have grown on me a lot. so please get some play time with the new effects in.

are there any dm servers you guys frequent? i'd love to jump in and get some online play going. i just got cable internet access this last weekend -- so i've been holding off on gaming online with the old isdn line...

i used to occasionally run a qw dm server using the original qwsv.exe -- can anybody point me in the right direction for setting up a solid and secure qwdm server? or offer any comments on how i should? here is what i have set up in the past:

qwsv.exe -heapsize 65536

server.cfg
Code:

hostname "mindabuse:quakeworld"
setmaster 192.246.40.12:27000
maxclients 20
maxspectators 4
deathmatch 3
teamplay 2
fraglimit 100
timelimit 30
samelevel 0
watervis 1
password ""
spectator_password ""
serverinfo 24bit_fbs 1
serverinfo allow_skybox

any other server.cfg recommendations would be great.

dobbz wrote:

oh one more thing jer.. the NG sounds a too similar to the SNG. maybe taking some of the lower end freqs from the NG would fit it better. so it doesnt sound quite so badass ya know.

also one very small detail: once everything important is done, smooth/extend the very ends of the reverbed sounds cause theyre almost all cut kinda abruptly. but its impossible to notice during any action, so whatever.

i'll play with the nail-guns some more... i do agree with their similarities, and i was worried about them sounding a little 'too' similar... i think the shotgun and supershotgun are much better in their comparison/contrast to each other.

in terms of 'rounding out the edges' -- i agree, some of the sounds do cut off a 'little' too abruptly... i'll see what i can do to trail them off a little bit.

thanks again for all the comments...
Goljat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

set bass/treble max to 3% then those rocket sound were pretty ok, i didnt hear any difference between sg and ssg, maybe im a deaf.
Luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerbear,

For FFA, I recommend Extended QW server with ktffa progs.dat
For duels and team games, I recommend Extended QW server with ktpro progs.dat

I can't make any recommendations for TF, but there are plenty of TF players on this forum.

Also, ktpro comes with a decent default config. I don't know about ktffa though. I think Urgfor was recently working on ktffa. He posts on this forum. Ask him for server recommendations.
Luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, I play on the "Googles" servers, which run ktpro and ktffa. The server is located in the Dallas, Texas (USA) area... you gotta remember that many people here are from other countries, so playing with them is more difficult.

Damn Swedes ping better than I do to servers in the USA... and I live in the USA!!!! I envy their high quality broadband.
Luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to check your sound settings with "soundinfo" at Fuhquake console. Your speed setting should be 44100. On Linux using "+set s_khz 44" at the commandline doesn't actually raise your sound speed above the default of +set s_khz 11". You have to start up FuhQuake with "-sndspeed 44100".

See the bug forum post for more:
https://fuhquake.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1796
Up2nOgOoD[ROCK]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i also don't like the mm1/2 chat sound. it has a little hiss that really annoys me:(

also, all the other things that people said, heh.

when i played, i REALLY got the feeling that i was playing quake 3! don't let that game influence us !!!
Drugs-Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sounds are great. Even though there are a couple of things that needs to be fixed I found the sounds to be quite pleasant.
And remember, the sounds are in early stage so there are still room for improvements.

Keep up the good work Jerbear
Luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played with the sounds for two days now, both singleplayer, multiplayer, and demos. I think that it is important to test the sounds with actual play and demos because some things you only appreciate when you are playing and others only when you are spectating.

I love them! I love the new sounds so far! I disagree about the rocket sound being too loud. It is perfect! The weapon feels so much more deadly now, with the new sounds and the new particle effects. Same goes for the grenades. I like the sounds for them.

The lightning sound could be a little more potent. It just sounds weak compared to the rockets and grenades. I like the shotguns, but they need a little more differentiation. This is more of a gameplay thing than a "sounds good" thing. Same goes for the nail guns. They need more differentiation from eachother. The nailguns also sound a little weak compared to the shotguns, grenades, and rockets.

So all I can say is add some more differentiation two the shotguns and nailguns, and make them sound "stronger". I know you don't want to overdo it... but add little more sugar please.

I actually like the jump sound. When I first loaded up the sounds, it was a bit too much of a change for me as were some of the other sounds... but I knew that I had to give the change a chance because it might actually be a change for the better and my bias of 7 years playing this game was keeping me from hearing the improvement.

Almost all of the environmental sounds are absolutely awesome! HUGE improvements over the originals!

Uhhh... oh, the Quad "grinding" sound when you attack while quaded is gone and I can't tell what it is replaced with. In fact, I can't tell much of a difference if any, when I am Quaded. Maybe I have some setting turned off? Maybe I am tone deaf?

There is so much that I like, but as opposed to kissing your ass I thought I would give a little constructive criticism. Please keep tweaking this sound set!

Oh, and I like the new conback too.
ParadokS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. i have to say hhmmmm Smile

The rocket launcher IS too loud compard to the other weapons. it don't need to sound so wild... we shoot like what.. 1˝ rocket pr second... if we aren't def before we play, we certainly will be after !!

I agree with what was said earlier, that the grenade launcher sounded like something from Q3.. im not a fan of the shoot / bounce sound.

I kinda fancy the SNG sound, although the NG sounds a bit like a automatic gun from CS with a silencer.. where did the hard metalic sound go that we accosiate with nails+guns ?

The armor pickup sounds like ur taking on a coat.. not a plated body armor... in QW it sounds like TJIIING... in new sounds its like "bludr bludr swish ding", so as far as that goes, it's kinda a downgrade from the original sound, when it comes to representing the power of armors.

When picking up powerups I wouldn't say no to some 'karma' and spookyness Razz When u take a flag in TF its like roaaaarr.. I would love that for when picking up pent, and for quad some 'godlike' woooaaah Smile And for ring, maybe some 'woooh" enviromental / ghost sound.. seeing as ur becoming a "ghost", instead a steril "beeeeep" sound.

I did play duels and watched demos with these new sounds, and i definitly think that gl/rl/ng/sng needs to be remade in some way or another... no, bigger and louder isnt better imo Razz

And yes, I am also a BIG fan of the enviromental sounds and most things in singleplayer... still keeps to surprise me Smile

What I'm trying to say I guess.. Let's try and keep the spirit of QW, or maybe add it. It's medieval scenario / stonewall enviroment with zombies and freaky powerups. I love it Smile But I don't fancy too much 'computer/synthesized' soundeffects. Maybe I'm overly critisizing, but maybe I am on the right track, and we can meet half way ;P

Oh ye and the chat sound is better as default than new sound, it got some 'hiss' sound in the end, I like it 'round/soft' like original =)

It's been a while since this was released, have u had a chance to go through some of the feedback yet ?

Last edited by ParadokS on Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
blaps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

Uhhh... oh, the Quad "grinding" sound when you attack while quaded is gone and I can't tell what it is replaced with. In fact, I can't tell much of a difference if any, when I am Quaded. Maybe I have some setting turned off? Maybe I am tone deaf?

Well I must have the sam setting turned on then... Smile Actually the sound you make when shooting with quad seems to have disapeared. This was truly mega-annoying when playing som ffa. Almost impossible to tell if someone has the quad or not. And the quad pickup psound must be to low as well. As I never noticed anyone getting the quad (on dm4). I checked the power up sounds single player after that and I think the same goes for the ring. The pent pickup sounded beefy enough though.

And I agree about the RL. Could use some extra bass as well?

It's basically the weapons that need the tweaking everything else sound more or less excellent. I must say the difference in sound quality that you hear when you switch back to compare the old sounds is truly amazing. So keep tuning these and I will stick with them. But you have to fix the quad. I don't think anyone will use them otherwise.

PS I think the GL rock! DS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FuhQuake Forum Index -> General ChitChat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: